Ever considered the idea of traveling with a purpose? Vacationing is amazing and allows one to explore the world, but when you add a reason to traveling, the whole intent is a lot better. Frequent travelers are now enjoying the concept of ‘volunteer vacation’, which is all about traveling to new places in the world and working for the local communities. So, what are the things that you can do on such vacations? We have some amazing ideas and tips for your help.
With volunteer vacation, you can do a lot of things for local programs and communities. Apart from choosing to volunteer in Costa Rica animals or working for beach cleaning in India, you can go for other options like teaching in Thailand and many other parts of the globe. It is more than important that you choose a project that makes sense to you. Finding interest and pleasure in volunteering work is the key to a happy vacation, and it is best to evaluate the options. The good thing is you don’t need to spend a fortune on such vacations and don’t need to slog for many hours. Everything is very flexible, allowing the visitor to enjoy the local places and contribute in the right ways. Also, you don’t need specific skill set for most programs.
Things that matter
- Choose a project that fits your budget. The costs are dedicated by a number of factors, including the destination, facilities and nature of the project. Ideally, it is a good idea to keep at least 20% of the entire budget aside, so that you can deal with any emergency needs and personal spending.
- There are some amazing services that arrange for such packages and programs, so make sure that you check them out on the web. While volunteering abroad, it makes sense to go for a package that includes most of the things. If you are comparing options, make sure that it includes travel insurance.
- Stay is one of the major considerations. For such trips, you don’t always get big hotels. Instead you may have dormitory that will be shared with other volunteers, which is also fun given that you get to meet a lot of likeminded people. You can ask for a few pictures of the accommodation if you want.
- As for the food, many people cannot instantly adjust with the local cuisine, so program organizers may arrange for a common kitchen or decided meal plans. Check the number of meals that are included in the offer, as you would have to spend additionally for the rest.
- Lastly, don’t miss on checking for a flexible volunteer vacation. The program should allow enough time to travel, which is also an important goal. If you are unsure of the vacation, you can opt for a smaller duration of two to three weeks, and in case you like the idea and enjoy the work, there is always the choice to extend the trip.